Ensuring Citizen Participation and Oversight in Budget Making Process at district level in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: District Haripur
Time Not Specified
District Assembly Hall, Haripur
SDPI in collaboration with District Government, Peshawar is going to launch a Project, ‘Ensuring Citizen Participation and Oversight in Budget Making Process at district level in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK)’. The project is a joint initiative of USAID and SDPI.
The project aims to facilitate the supply and demand side stakeholders in budget making and expenditure tracking vis-a-vis education, health, social welfare and public health engineering in two KPK districts, namely Haripur and Peshawar.
SDPI, under the Local Government Act (LGA) 2013, will help the city district government ensure the process of accountability and effective service delivery by building technical and administrative capacities of the newly-elected local government representatives. It would also utilize civil society potential to enhance their participation in budget making and expenditure tracking for better public service provision. SDPI plans to do so by
- Building the capacity of government officials concerned in budget making process
- Conducting training of civil society and local government representatives on expenditure tracking
- Establishing Citizen Forum in both districts
- Holding quarterly consultation and annual meetings, and
- Organizing seminars on Experience Sharing and Policy Recommendation
Citizen Forum will comprise local government representatives, government officials and civil society organizations. Through the forum, a debate on allocations and tracking expenses will be generated to create an interface of engagement with the local government representatives and civil society. Quarterly meetings of the forum would help ensure enhanced engagement of local government with civil society. The goals of this intervention are manifold. It will help improve the financial management by refining allocation, better spending practices by bringing efficiency and cost saving, putting forward the real needs to different levels of the government for the provision of additional resources, which is crucial to meet the growing aspirations of the people especially marginalized and excluded.
- Ex-MPA Dr. Faiza Rasheed, Chairman Awaz Forum
- Mr. Tasleem ul Haq, Assistant Commissioner
- Mr. Arif Khan, Senior District Officer Mr. Asif Ali Jha