3:00 pm to 5:00 pm
SDPI, 38 Main Embassy Road, G-6/3, Islamabad
Natural forests of Pakistan in general and those of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province in particular are under heavy pressure. The subject book takes a social science perspective to identify and analyze some main factors responsible for depletion of natural forests of KP. Forests supply various important resources such as timber, firewood, and forest soil for utilization in agricultural activities, ecological functions, pasture areas, etc. A social science perspective reminds us that some social groups may be interested in specific forest-based resources. Others may also be interested in the same, and thus compete for these resources, while still others may even like to prevent the use of a specific resource. Thus, the use of forests has considerable potential for social conflicts – this book proposes to specifically analyze these conflicts to find explanations for continued overexploitation of forests in KP. With this, it also proposes to go beyond more traditional explanations of deforestation such as population pressure or ignorance.
The insights presented in this book mainly emerged through a research study conducted by the Pakistan Research Group of the Switzerland-based National Center for Competence in Research (NCCR) North-South. Other researchers with expertise in the area of forests, livelihoods and power relations, have contributed to the book as well. The book launch seminar will highlight key recommendations and policy implications. You are cordially invited to attend.
· MNA Marriyum Aurangzeb, Pakistan Muslim League-N
· Mr. Arbab Shahrukh, Secretary Environment, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
· Mr. Nasir Mehmood, Inspector General Forests, Government of Pakistan
· Dr. Babar Shahbaz, Visiting Fellow, SDPI and Assistant Professor, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
· Dr. Abid Qaiyum Suleri, Executive Director, SDPI
· Dr. Urs Geiser, Senior Researcher, Department of Geography, University of Zurich
The event can also be watched live at: http://sdpi.tv/live.php