3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
The world is gradually adopting the ‘New Normal’ after COVID-19 has hit the socio-economic life of people. Believing that this new virus will remain with us for more years, we need to adopt mask-wearing, physical distancing, tele-working/remote working, and hand washing/sanitizing as part of everyday life. Some of the very fundamental questions that need to be discussed in this regard are:
- What is this ‘new normal’ and why is it necessary to adopt it as early as possible?
- Do we have the capacity and infrastructure to opt this ‘new normal’?
- How much efforts are required to adopt this habit?
In Pakistan, we are almost one year into the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, the country falls into the category of those which are less impacted as compared to the developed world like the US, UK, and the European nations. A big population of the country still does not realize the severity of this pandemic. Only a small pocket has the realization. However, the biggest challenge is to adopt this new normal in our daily habits.
A collective thinking of the government, private sector, civil society, media, academia, and professional groups can make people realize the urgency to opt this new normal, which according to WHO, “can be a stepping-stone to a new future, with benefits of other health issues, far beyond the response to COVID-19.”
To understand as to what measures Pakistan should take to and what is the responsibility of general citizenry, and what our professional groups like media, academia, lawyers, doctors, trade chambers, and civil society members can do in this regard, SDPI is initiating an online webinar titled: Life after COVID-19: Are we ready to opt for a new normal, on Monday under its policy tag line campaign “No one is safe unless everyone is safe.”
Moderator: Dr. Abid Suleri, Executive Director SDPI
- Mr. Hamza Shafqaat; Deputy Commissioner Islamabad
- Mr. Mosharraf Zaidi; Journalist, Development Practitioner
- Dr. Nousheen Hamid ; Member National Assembly, Parliamentary Secretary Ministry of National Health