4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Kehkashan Hall at Islamabad Hotel, Islamabad
Note:?Kindly confirm your participation through email or phone. The event can also be watched live at ?http://www.sdpi.tv/live.php
Supreme Court of Pakistan has advised provincial governments to pass appropriate ?Local Government? legislation before??and subsequently hold local bodies elections. Government of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have drafted their local government bills, which apparently are in conflict with various constitutional clauses and serious gaps exists which needs to be revisited in larger interests of the public.
The conference seek to raise public voice about the content of these bills to make it more democratically representative, in accordance with the relevant constitutional clauses. The conference would discuss meaningful participation of citizens in local bodies election with inclusion of all excluded groups for effective service delivery, gender equality and strengthening of democratic institutions at local level.
The event is organized by AAWAZ Voice and Accountability programme comprised of Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), Strengthening Participatory Organization (SPO), Aurat Foundation (AF), South Asia Partnership-Pakistan (SAP-Pk) and Sungi Development Foundation. AAWAZ is a Voice and Accountability Programme that seeks to ensure inclusive democratic processes and improves the state?s accountability to citizens.
Chair: Ms Khawar Mumtaz, Chairperson, National Commission on Status of Women (NCSW)
- Mr Daniyal Aziz, MNA PMLN, and Former Chairman, National Reconstruction Bureau
- Mr Qamar Zaman Kaira, Former Federal Minister for Information, PPP (TBC)
- Dr Farooq Sattar, Deputy Convener and Parliamentary Leader, MQM
- Mr Asad Umar, Senior Vice President, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, PTI
- Ms Bushra Gohar, Senior Vice President, ANP
- Mr Ramesh Singh Arora, MPA, Punjab Provincial Assembly
- Ms Maryam Bibi, KhowendoKor, Peshawar
- Ms Tahira Abdullah, Human Rights Activist
- Ms Rehna Hashmi, Sisters? Trust, Islamabad
- Ms Naghma Imdad, Deputy Team Leader, AAWAZ
- Mr Naseer Memon, Chief Executive, SPO
- Mr Naeem Mirza, Chief Operating Officer, Aurat Foundation
- Mr Sajid Mansoor Qaisrani, Executive Director, Sungi
- Mr Irfan Mufti, Deputy Executive? Director, SAP-PK
- Ms Feroza Zahra, National Programme Manager, AAWAZ, Aurat Foundation
- Dr Abid Qaiyum Suleri, Executive Director, SDPI