3:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) is an independent, non-profit organization. SDPI has been working extensively to help public officials and stakeholders to respond to the opportunities and challenges to cope up global political economy, diplomacy, climate change, terrorism, violence, global changing power dynamics, strategic realigning and others. Working on an issue that is often polarized and politicized, SDPI provides a forum for objective research, analysis and for the development of pragmatic policies and solutions.
As India imposed a lockdown across its territory amid the spread of COVID-19 pandemic, the occupied territory of Jammu & Kashmir, where the lockdown imposed since August 2019 was only part relaxed, was plunged into a lockdown again. The costs of the lockdown have been higher for the people of Kashmir as the world may have retorted to internet in the global crises Kashmiris were not just deprived of the access but also the occupational forces have found an opportunity in the crises to further their control in the valley.
Authorities are cracking down hard on dissent, doctors demanding personal protection equipment are threatened and molested. Journalists are charged under anti-terrorism laws. Crackdowns on civilian settlements continues leaving the helpless population on their own to battle mental traumas, personal losses and the pandemic. In view of the current situation in Kashmir in midst of the outbreak of COVID-19, SDPI desires to organize a special video conference to discuss the situation on ground and play its role in voicing the genuine concerns of the Kashmiri population.
- Ms. Ather Zia: a Kashmiri political anthropologist, poet, and author, Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Gender Studies at the University of Northern Colorado.
- Ms. Ruwa Shah: is a student of cinema and TV in Turkey. She previously worked as a journalist in India with organizations including the Hindustan Times IANS and the Indian Express.
- Ms. Farzana Yaqoob: Founding Member of the Asia Institute of Public Policy and is a Policy Advisor for AGAHI. She formerly served as Minister for Social Welfare and Women Development in Azad Jammu and Kashmir Assembly
- Mr. Altaf Hussain Wani: Human Rights Activist, Chairman at Kashmir Institute of International Relations, Permanent Representative International Islamic Federation of Students Organizations to UN, Geneva.
- Dr. Khurshid Ahmed: Project Director Islamabad Medical and Dental College hailing from Sopore.