Jan 1 - Dec 31
9.00am to 5:30PM
SDPI Seminar Hall, 38, Embassy Road, G-6/3, Islamabad
Development Policy Institute (SDPI) is now in its 20th year ……
SDPI was founded in
August 1992 on the recommendation of the Pakistan National Conservation
Strategy (NCS), also called Pakistan’s
Agenda 21. The NCS placed Pakistan’s
socio-economic development within the context of a national environmental plan.
This highly acclaimed document, approved by the Federal Cabinet in March 1992,
outlined the need for an independent non-profit organization to serve as a source
of expertise for policy analysis and development, policy intervention, and
policy and program advisory services.
- Conduct policy advice, policy oriented research and
advocacy from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
- Promote the implementation of policies, programs,
laws and regulations based on sustainable development.
- Strengthen civil society and facilitate civil
society-government interaction through collaboration with other
organizations and activist networks.
- Disseminate research findings and public education
through the media, conferences, seminars, lectures, publications and
- Contribute to building up national research capacity
- Catalyze the transition towards sustainable and just
development in Pakistan.
- Serve as a source of expertise and advisory services
for the government, private sector, and non-governmental initiatives
supporting the implementation of Pakistan’s environment and
- Conduct policy-oriented research on sustainable
development from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
- Provide policy advice on matters relating to the
mission of the Institute.
- Contribute to strengthening the social and physical
infrastructure for research in Pakistan.
- Initiate, establish and participate in collaborative
advocacy and other activities with like-minded organizations in and
outside the country.
- Policy advice to government
- A forum for policy dialogue
- Support to in-house, visiting and external
- Publications for research, public and private sector
- A conduit for North South dialogue
- An environment for information dissemination and
- A base for regional advocacy and networking
The research program at SDPI drives the three main activities of policy advice,
advocacy/networking and training in the following areas:
Climate Change, Environment,
Chemicals/Sustainable Industrial Development, Human Development, Globalization,
Local Livelihoods, Food Security, Economy, Labor, Gender & others
SDPI 20th Anniversary celebrations are intended mainly
to highlight the institute achievements by holding a number of academic and
networking activities spread over 12 months of the SDPI 20th year –