Time Not Specified
Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) is pleased to announce ‘Sustainable
Development Journalism Awards 2017’ at its 20th Sustainable Development Conference (SDC)
scheduled from 5 – 7 December 2017 in Islamabad. Entries will be received from throughout the
country. All the awards will have cash prizes as well.
The discourse on sustainable development issues such as environment, climate change,
inclusive economic growth, energy, etc. was initiated in the 90s by the civil society and think
tanks, including SDPI, which was later strengthened by media coverage under its social
responsibility as watchdog and agenda setter in the public interest.
SDPI, being an independent think tank dedicated to sustainable development, has always
enjoyed good relations with media and journalists from beginners to mid-career to senior and
veteran journalists across the country. It has the privilege to directly work with journalists
covering issues around sustainable development, social and climate change policy, water and
power, and economic growth. We have been together in terms of conducting training for
journalists, supporting them to conduct quick researches for their investigative stories and
sharing with them information and data along with technical perspective on the issues of
In recognition of their dedicated works, six journalists (three each from print and electronic
media) will be selected for the awards on their best news stories/articles/Op-eds, and news
packages/documentaries/talk shows respectively. The main theme of the products must focus
the issues around sustainable development, including climate change, disasters, socioeconomic
development, sustainable development goals (SDGs), etc. Criteria for print and
electronic media products will be clubbed as under:
1. News stories/Articles/Op-eds
2. News packages/Documentaries/Talk shows
Participants from electronic media may send their works’ links through email, or they may
despatch CDs through the post. In case of talk shows, only a relevant part of the product will be
accepted. Similarly, participants from print media may despatch the news clippings through the
post or they may also send their publications’ links through email. Date of
publication/broadcast, and name of the organization must be mentioned on each product.
Foreign Correspondents, based in Islamabad, may also apply in their respective categories.
In addition to these six awards, two Special Awards will be given to those journalists, who have
shown outstanding performance in the profession. Similarly, one Life Time Achievement Award
will be given to a veteran journalist to recognise his/her great works done for years after years.
The Six Plus Two awards will be given on eight selected works (print and electronic) of
journalists on various aspects of sustainable development as described above. The work should
have been published/broadcast during the period between 1
st of January 2017 to 31st of
A jury comprising senior journalists will select the best works out of the entries submitted to
SDPI. Last date for the submissions is 1
st October 2017.
Sustainable Development (SD) Journalism Award Winners:
- Ms Huma Sadaf for her story ‘Smog’ telecast on PTV News.
- Mr Anas Ahmad for his report on ‘Industrial Pollution’ telecast on Capital TV.
- Mr Nadir Khan for his news report on ‘Saving the Environment’ telecast on Capital TV.
- Syed Muhammad Abu Bakar for the news article ‘Embattled Baluchistan is Now Up against a Different Foe’ published in The Express Tribune.
- Mr Danial Shah for an article on Climate Change published in The Herald.
- Mr Muhammad Hussain Khan for his special report on ‘Poverty and Agriculture sector’ published by Dawn News.
- Ms Rabia Noor for her story on ‘Promoting Women Economic Empowerment’ telecast on ARY News.
- Mr Rana Qaiser, Senior Journalist and Anchorperson, Pakistan Television (PTV).
- Mr Khalid Jamil, Producer, Ab Tak.
- Ms Asma Shirazi, Senior Journalist and Anchorperson, Aaj News TV
- Mr Mohammad Ziauddin
- The Express Tribune
- The Nation, Daily Nawa-e-Waqat Media Group
- The Herald
- The News on Sunday and The News Jang Group