The Express Tribune
Published Date: Jun 1, 2018
This is apropos Hafsa Bashir’s column titled ‘Mercury Toxicity’, published in this newspaper on May 26th.
The article shows considerable awareness about the major emerging issue of mercury toxicity. It is admirable that she has raised the issue that had been neglected for years.
Since the mouth is a doorway through which things go into the rest of the body, practising good oral hygiene is an investment in overall health but unfortunately this has been not given the kind of priority that it deserves — a glaring example is mercury amalgam filling. Medical research has established that mercury is continuously released as vapours into the mouth, go into body tissues and opens a window for various medical problems as discussed in the article. I fail to understand why one would still choose to risk one’s health. This is happening despite the fact that dentists are well aware of the dangerous effects of mercury.
Moreover, health officials’ and the government’s failure to take appropriate action in this regard is incomprehensible. Toxicity caused by mercury is a silent killer.
The authorities concerned must enact a law to ban the use of mercury in dentistry.