Environmental Regulations and Compliance in Textile Processing Sector of Pakistan
Duration: February 2013 to June 2014
Team Members: Muhammad Sohaib
There are 600-800 textile processing units in the country with a 70% share in textile exports. Textile sector provides employment to around 40% of total manufacturing labor force and contributes 8% to Pakistan’s GDP. In order to properly tackle the issue of industrial pollution like liquid effluents, gaseous emissions and ambient air, the Government of Pakistan formulated environmental legislations and National Environmental Quality Standards (NEQS). There is hardly any study in Pakistan, which analyses the textile-specific environmental regulations and compliance issues. In this context, this is a pioneering study to address an important area of concern.
- To assess environmental regulations and standards in textile industry
- To identify challenges in compliance and remedies of these challenges
- Primary data collection
- Produce a report on the basis of Cross Case Analysis
Firms are not following NEQS because Environmental Protection Department has no check and balance system. There is no treatment plant for effluent in majority of industries.
- There is a need to develop at least one combined effluent treatment plant in Faisalabad
- The coordination between APTMA, APTPMA and Chamber of Commerce & Industries should be made mandatory
- A regulatory framework should be structured to assess the effluents and their adverse effects
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) should play a major role in educating industry about environment protection.
- EPA should also conduct research on industry on regular basis in order to know about environmental/waste management practices.
- APTPMA acts as a bridge between government bodies and industry, therefore, its role in terms of regulatory actions should also be defined
Phase – II
- Phase II of the project started in October 2013. In this phase, a survey of 80 textile firms of processing sector will be conducted. Logit Model will be used to analyze the data.