Donors/Partners: World Bank
Duration of Project: January 2018 to March 2018
Pakistan@100 will be a report that discusses options for Pakistan to accelerate growth and ensure its sustainability and inclusiveness over the next 30 years. To do so, it will focus on 6 core issues in six individual notes, one of them being Environmental Sustainability. SDPI will be contributing for the section on Environmental Sustainability.
Other five sections will be:
– Regional Connectivity
– Structural Transformation
– Role of Government
– Financing a Significant Increase in Investment
– Labor Productivity
SDPI aims to inform the future policy making for ensuring environmentally sustainable growth till 2047.
We will be covering four parts under the environmental sustainability section:
- Water Pollution
- Urban Air Quality
- Water-Agriculture Nexus
- Disaster Risk Management
Every part will try to answer following four questions pertaining to it:
- Current context for environmental sustainability (and water and climate change). Current opportunities and challenges
- How can environmental sustainability contribute to growth (and its sustainability and inclusion) in the future (long term – to 2047)? What reforms and/ or investments will be necessary? How are future prospects informed by global megatrends? How will current opportunities and challenges change in the future?
- What reforms have been attempted in the past? To what extent were they successful? If not successful, why? What role did political economy play in preventing reforms? How can this be addressed in the future?
- What recommendations going forward, informed by (i) current context, (ii) future prospects, (iii) global megatrends and (iv) lessons from past reform efforts?
Team Members: Dr. Abid Qaiyum Suleri, Shafqat Munir, Dr. Imran Khalid, Shakeel Ahmad Ramay, Irfan Ahmad Chatha, Maliha Naveed, Ahmed Awais Khaver