Seed Bank in Pakistan
Team Members: Shakeel Ahmed, Fareeha Mehmood
Unfortunately, Pakistan does not have any national agriculture policy. Absence of policy created number of problems for agriculture. Keeping in view the importance of seed industry and in order to address the problems faced by the stakeholders in agriculture and seed sector, a desk study coupled with interviews from concerned stake holders was conducted by SDPI during December 2011 – June 2012. This study was intended to highlight and identify the current status of seed industry in Pakistan and suggested the solutions for the problems faced by the informal sector within the seed industry.
- Current Status of Seed Industry in Pakistan
- What is the difference between formal and informal sector within the Seed Industry in Pakistan and role of multinational companies in seed sector
- What are the policies, laws and regulations governing the Seed Industry in Pakistan
- What is the institutional framework within the Seed Industry and how it operates in Pakistan
- Devise solutions and strategies in order to address the shortcomings within the seed industry and highlight the importance of community seed bank in Pakistan
- Introduce the concept of regional seed banks and its benefits and operational modalities after consulting the concerned stake holders.
This study shows that the seed industry has been divided in to formal and informal sectors. The formal sector constitutes the national and multinational companies whereas the informal sector comprises farmer-driven agricultural system.