Number of Downlaods: 44
Published Date: Apr 17, 2020
Lockdown and Layoffs: The Poor have to Pay the Rents
1. Around one fifth of the poor housheold, i.e. 2.5 million families, live in rented homes. (Exhibit 1)
2. About 80% of these poor work in vulnerable occupations (Exhibit 2)
3. Amid COVID-19 lockdown, they are unemployed and facing lay-offs.
4. These households have to pay on average a minimum of Rs6250 to 6750 rent per month (Exhbit 4). We note that renst may be even higehr.
5. The house owners cannot delay the rent rceipts as they themselves are under the same situation of no income.
6. Therefore, federal and provincial governments’ should include this segment of the society in existing relief packages and social protection schemes.
Shabana Kishwar, Waqas Imran