Maryam Shabbir AbbasiDigital Media Coordinator/ Project Coordinator
Social Media Unit
Maryam Shabbir did her MPhil in Environmental Policy and Management from Bahria University, Islamabad. She received a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences from Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi. She has a diploma on ‘Turn down the Heat: Why a 4°C Warmer World must be Avoided’ from The World Bank.
At present, she works as Project Associate on Climate Change and Gender. She mainly focuses gender mainstreaming into climate change policies through evident based research. Besides, she is the Coordinator – Digital Media. She usually writes on water governance, climate change, air & water pollution, and gender issues. She has authored a paper on ‘Chemical Contamination of Selected Heavy Metals in Ground Water, Roadside Soil and Vegetation, Taxila Area’ in 2013. Following are the publication wherein she is a co-author.
- Fighting the recurrent threat of floods, PRISE blog series https://bit.ly/2dQTo2J
- Environmental Health Threats and Challenges of Mercury Amalgam Use in Pakistan’s dental Healthcare Sector, Pathways to Sustainable Development, Sang-e-Meel Publications, ISBN-10: 969-35-2897-2
- Mercury poisoning dentistry: high-level indoor air mercury contamination at selected dental sites, Rev Environ Health, The University of New York, Vol 29, Issue 1-2
- Study of high levels indoor air mercury contamination from mercury amalgam use in dentistry, Science, Technology and Development (2014) 33(2): 49-54
- Study of indoor air mercury pollution at dental teaching institutions, hospitals and clinics resulting from mercury amalgam use in dentistry, SDPI Working Paper series #139
- High Risk of Mercury, Exposure to Public Health due to Mercury Amalgam Use in Dentistry in Pakistan, SDPI policy Brief series # 34
She has also volunteered some research works for Environmental Protection Agency, Rawalpindi. Her research projects include:
- Detection and estimation of heavy metals in the selected roadside areas of Taxila (Thesis)
- Monitoring (air & water) of Biodiversity Park (IUCN), Murree (April 2012)
- Monitoring of Vehicular Emissions at Chairing Cross, Rawalpindi (April 2012)
- Monitoring of fluoride emissions of Brick kilns Tarnol, Islamabad (May 2012)
- Detailed study of present species and their present status at Ayub National Park, Rawalpindi under the subject of Biodiversity and its conservation
- Solid Waste Management Strategies-A comparative research study of Shifa International Hospital, Islamabad and Government Hospital, Rawalpindi.
- Detailed industrial study of Fauji Cereals Company with respect to manufacturing of different products and pollution control technologies used.
- Study of important crop (wheat) of Pakistan with respect to industrial and economic processes under the subject of Economic Botany-Practical study at Rawalpindi Flour Mills.
In addition, she is a social media activist, trainer and an active member of National Youth Assembly.